Coming out of the Mother’s Day weekend, I thought it would be nice to make note of some of the most awesome of fictional moms out there. Let me know who you would put on your list of the best fictitious moms!
But first, just so we’re on the same page, I’d like to turn your attention to a section of the first sentence in today's post: “...Mother’s Day weekend...” For those who were not certain, the official name for the “holiday” is singular. Over the weekend I saw “Happy Mothers Day” and “Happy Mothers’ Day” ... sometimes capitalized, other times not. So there you have it: Mother’s Day.
As promised, my list of the best moms in fiction, don’t forget to leave your choices in the comments!
1. Mrs. Weasley (Harry Potter) – Mrs. Weasley not only demonstrated the utmost devotion and love for her sons and daughter, but she took Harry in and treated him no different. She was a stay at home mum who used her magic to cook and clean; and when it came to it, she used that same magic to protect and avenge. There is no doubt she is one tough cookie and one of the best mums in fiction!
2. Mrs. March (Little Women) – Marmee, as she was lovingly referred to by her four daughters, was a strong woman. She wanted her girls to live outside of the boundaries that society placed on them as women; all while retaining their lady-like manner (of course).
3. Martha Kent (Superman) – If you were driving down a dirt road at night, saw a meteor smash into the earth cradling a baby alien within its rocky embrace, would you have dusted off said baby and raised him as your own?
4. Mrs. Bennet (Pride and Prejudice) – Though not all of her daughters appreciated her efforts, Mrs. Bennet was a mother who only wanted the best for her girls. She was intent on finding them the best of suitors. Unfortunately, she was of the school of thought that without a proper suitor, her daughters wouldn’t amount to much, thus effectively scaring away both suitors and her daughters. But she had good intentions!
5. Lily Potter (Harry Potter) – Quite possibly the best fictional mom of all time, Lily Potter gave her life and used her unconditional love to protect her son. What more can be said?
I was surprised to find how hard it was to actually come up with good moms in fiction! I’d love to hear your input! As always, happy reading and happy writing!